The Boys & Girls Club of Hollywood was founded in June, 1937 by Mrs. Earl Gilmore, of the Assistance League of Southern California. She organized The Boys Club of Hollywood in two rooms above a garage on DeLongpre Avenue in Hollywood. Originally expected to attract 10 – 15 boys, Mrs. Gilmore was happily surprised with the arrival of 60 boys during the first month.
In 1942, thanks to the efforts of local businesses and tradespeople, a new Club facility was constructed on the Assistance League property. In 1957, entertainer Bob Hope spearheaded a fundraising drive to finance the construction of a gymnasium and outdoor swimming pool; and in 1976, to better serve our children, board members purchased a large play field adjacent to the Club facility.
In 1986, our name was officially changed to the Boys & Girls Club of Hollywood and girls were welcomed.
In 1994, the property was sold and the Club was relocated to a small space at The First Presbyterian Church of Hollywood.
In the spring of 1998, the Club moved into our present location at 850 North Cahuenga Blvd in Hollywood, and named our new facility the Margie and Robert E. Petersen Boys & Girls Club of Hollywood.
In 2004, we began planning for our $3 million renovation project. Ten years later, the project expanded to $5.9 million. Today our kids enjoy a state of the art facility including a full size gymnasium, teen center, art studio, technology and learning centers, music rooms and a secure entrance. This project was made possible by a generous donation from the Margie & Robert E. Petersen Foundation and our gymnasium is named in the loving memory of the children of Margie & Robert Petersen, the Bobby & Richie Petersen Gymnasium. This project will support our programs and provide our children with a place to call HOME for years to come.